- The Christmas season is a great time to show your child the importance of family.
- Interactive games and crafts are a fun way for children to learn about The Christmas Story.
- Gifts are secondary; the true meaning of Christmas the time spent with loved ones.
Preschool and kindergarten teachers everywhere prioritize teaching their students the true meaning of Christmas.
We recommend the following to get your preschooler or kindergartener invested in Christmas on a deeper level:
- Tell interactive stories. Young kids are all about action, and oftentimes, a history lesson can be boring for them. When you’re telling them stories, especially about Jesus and the history of Christmas, be animated and encourage them to join in on the action. They could perhaps play a part in the story, be that St. Nicholas or even Jesus himself. You and they will have a blast, and they’ll learn something valuable at the same time.
- Take them to visit family, or set up a video chat. Christmas is truly all about family. Take your child to visit an old relative or a close family friend that they haven’t seen in a while, or arrange a face-to-face video chat. These personal interactions are very important for a child’s development and go a long way towards showing them the true meaning of Christmas.
- Do crafts. There is an endless list of easy and fun Christmas crafts you and your child can do. You can make crafts of Santa Claus and his reindeer, a snowy manger scene and so much more. No matter your artistic ability, the important thing is that you and your child will have fun together and get in the Christmas spirit!
- Volunteer to help the community. It may be more difficult this year to physically go out and volunteer, but there are still plenty of options You can go visit your local animal shelter and spend some time with furry companions (or drop off food and toys if you’re unable to go in). Other volunteer opportunities include donating some old toys, gathering canned goods and donating them to the food drive at your local church, or even baking cookies for an elderly neighbor down the street. No matter what the activity or the circumstances, this will teach your child that Christmas is about letting others know how special they are to us.
Here at Les Enfants, our preschoolers and kindergarteners take part in various Christmas activities in the classroom. Contact us at 201-592-6695 for more information!